Weirdness

Monday, November 29, 2004

All Things Must Pass Anniversary

Tomorrow is the anniversary of the release of George Harrison's magnum opus, All Things Must Pass. What an album! Suddenly, the "quiet Beatle" wasn't so quiet any more! I really loved that album. I considered it a monster at the time - 3 LP's worth of Harrison's creativity spewing out after being cooped up behind the demigods of Lennon & McCartney. The musicians' list reads like a who's who of ultra cool, circa 1970. The singles were inescapable on the radio all winter long. For anyone who wasn't around then - this is what was happening in early '71.
Right at that time I was starting to study Hinduism and Buddhism, so this pop approach REALLY hit hard. It was just so cool! I'm not saying that it always worked, but here was a talented guy really trying to use the art he knew to convey the spirituality he was searching for and experiencing. This is one of those albums where I bet I've gone through half a dozen tunes as being my faves over the years. It really depends on my mood and where I am; and that's another neat thing about this work - there's something for everyone here, I think. From the somber tunes like Isn't It A Pity, to the progressive jams, to the playfulness of Apple Scruffs (ten Beatles trivia points if you know what the title is referring to....), Harrison tried, (and I think succeeded) to show he was a performer to be reckoned with, across the board.
Oh, my fave cuts right now - I'm kinda divided. The title song has always been important to me, it reflects the impermanence of things (it's very Buddhist). At it's root, I don't think it's a very happy tune, but I think it tries to be accurate. I'll always take accuracy over wishes. But I think my real fave is What Is Life. It's a weird but wonderful juxtaposition of a rather dour spiritual quest with a real rocker of a tune backing it up. I had the joy of seeing it performed by George at the Cap Center 30 years ago and it brought the house down. It's the closest thing to a Springsteen "moment" of rock satori that I've ever experienced, (outside of The Boss himself, of course). At any rate, thanks for reading, and thanks for a wonderful album George, you Dark Horse, you!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home