Weirdness

Wednesday, December 08, 2004

Merry Christmas, Charlie Brown!

Tomorrow will be the 39th anniversary of the broadcast of the Charlie Brown Christmas special. I remember watching it back in '65, and one way or another, I've probably managed to catch it every year since then. It is one of the many small ironies in my life that that is probably my fave Christmas show, in spite of the fact that it is one of the most religious ones. If you think about it, most of the film and TV shows about Christmas have been bleached of any Christianity. The musical Scrooge as well as the Alistair Sims production only obliquely mention Jesus twice; The Grinch, Christmas Story, Rudolph, Frosty, Christmas in Connecticut, and Miracle On 34th Street - not at all. But there is something genuinely moving and touching when Linus quotes Luke - "Behold I Bring You Tidings of Great Joy", regardless of my own view of religion, (I am not made of stone, just asphalt).
A lot has been written about Charlie Brown, and I don't think I can really compete with most of the analysis. I agree that there is an undercurrent of darkness and pessimism behind Schultz's masterpiece, and I think that helps account for its super-popularity over many decades. It is carried along on a subtle current of angst and anxiety. But the Christmas special allows for a little honor in the face of cultural flatulence, a little courage in the face of the herd, and a little bit of happiness to break through the haze.
It's of course, helped along by one of the best soundtracks in the history of mankind by Vince Guaraldi. His works are part of our DNA now. Every year at the record store we'd get in box after box, and every year we'd sell out - even thirty years after the fact. It's hard to believe after all this time that anyone who wanted a copy hadn't already purchased one, but they just keep coming in, hauling away more. People just need to own it, it's that powerful.
My most memorable viewing was back in mid December of '77. I was finishing up my first semester at William & Mary. School was not going well, and it was not a happy period in my life. There was one exam left to go in two days. I decided to take time off and drove over to the local Sheraton to catch my boy Gary Lewis in a revival show, (and that's another story). At any rate, I got there about an hour before showtime and went to the bar to nurse a few fingers of bourbon. It was empty - not a soul but me and the bartender, a guy about my age, quietly polishing glasses and setting up for a slow night in Williamsburg. We exchanged pleasantries and I then sullenly nursed my drink. After a few minutes, he sheepishly asked if I minded if he turned on the bar's TV to watch Charlie Brown. I immediately brightened from my rather darkened mood and readily agreed. The two of us just sat back and watched the show - not another soul entered the bar that entire time. I really can't think of anything profound or even particularly interesting to say about that showing - It just seemed appropriate, and still does.
Well Schultz has hopefully gone to a place where all the footballs get kicked, all the kites stay out of trees, and where the Red Baron never wins. But we are left, at least for a brief moment each year, with Tidings of Great Joy.*



*This ends our test of the Emergency Blau Religious Broadcasting System. Normal Programming will now resume....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home