Weirdness

Thursday, March 17, 2005

Happy Birthday John Sebastian!

One of my fave performers. I've managed to catch Sebastian about three times in concert, and they've all been wonderful shows. For those of you out of the loop, John started out in a variety of folk-type groups and then helped form the Lovin' Spoonful. They were one of the best folk rock groups ever. There was a sincerity and innocence to their songs that still brings a wistful smile to my face. As a kid, the light rock songs were joyful yelps and as a middle aged man they are nostalgia floggers of the first degree. You simply cannot listen to "Daydream" without imagining yourself out on a hammock or lawnchair in the middle of July watching the clouds roll on overhead. "You Didn't Have To Be So Nice" is still one of my favorite love songs. And "Do You Believe In Magic" is one of those tunes I've listened to so much that it's now part of my DNA.
John went on to a somewhat successful solo career that continues to this day. His songwriting in the late 60's and early 70's was still great. I recommend "Younger Generation" to any parent, I'm sure it'll ring true. "She's a Lady" is another wonderful love song. And "I Had A Dream" may be one of the best songs ever written about my generation. There are many more I could recommend.
I hope that those of you who are into pop culture will check out John and the Lovin Spoonful. And I hope the rest of you will get around to breaking out those old LP's and listen and remember a time when we didn't have to tell a stranger about rock'n'roll...

http://www.johnbsebastian.com/

http://www.classicbands.com/spoonful.html

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home