Weirdness

Thursday, February 02, 2006

An interesting article about gifts and raising one's children

http://www.slate.com/id/2135287/fr/nl/

I found this article pretty interesting, (obviously, as an outsider). I'd be curious what others thought of it, particularly since it seem to reflect a D.C. perspective. Is there big pressure for bigger and better parties/gifts/etc.? It is probably a sign of getting older that I view myself creeping into fuddy-duddyism here, and the feeling that tons of presents are just another disagreeable nod towards Mammon. On the other hand, I look back to my own rather spoiled childhood and am sure that I was just as grasping, (to be fair though, neither I nor any of my friends even thought of having entertainers and gift bags - just presents for the birthday child, and a feast of cake for the attendees). I suppose it's a progression of understanding: whether it's birthdays, Christmas, or anything else, as I get older I find that I just relish the excuse of getting together with family and friends, (many of you reading this). The rest is, at best, a pleasant diversion. I wonder if that can be conveyed to children. I'd welcome opinions, particularly from those of you facing this type of situation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home