Weirdness

Saturday, June 17, 2006

Fathers Day

Not an easy day for me.
I am usually an advertiser’s worst nightmare. When I walk into a store I am almost always oblivious to the posters, videos and signs advertising whatever it is they want to sell me. And when a commercial comes on the tube, I invariably zone out. (This becomes increasingly easy as most TV ads are apparently targeted only at people a third my age and IQ). But come June, as I walk by a storefront or loaf in front of the TV, I always manage to catch the Fathers Day ads. Each one a little pinprick of remembrance, and a little reminder of loss. It gets wearying.
Some of you don’t have the best relationship with your fathers. I can only say that I sincerely hope that things improve and that a connection can be made. There are so many things working against the idea of family in these times, it seems practically subversive to promote them nowadays. About six or seven years ago I was at a doctor's office sitting in a small waiting room. The receptionist was a lady in her late 20’s and talking to someone else in the room about being a single mother. Apparently, the father of this child was not involved at all in its life. When the other person in the conversation mentioned some concern about this, the receptionist glibly replied “Oh, it’s the 90’s…”, as if it was no problem at all. I am still stunned by that statement and the cavalier attitude behind it. When did fathers become optional or easily disposed of??? I could go on, but will simply say that, to me, there is something very dark and disturbing about those words and what lies behind them. I honestly hope that that child has grown to be a good and happy person, but I can’t help but feel that it could only have been better with their Dad around too.
And so, I wish everyone a Happy Fathers Day. If you are one, I hope you can have a great day with your kids. And if yours is still around, I am so envious…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home