Weirdness

Sunday, August 06, 2006

The Angry Young Men...

http://www.fortunecity.com/tinpan/dylan/576/index.html

I remember first catching the Urban Verbs on a date to the Cellar Door back in January of '79. I didn't know anything about them except that the girl I was with liked 'em and thought I'd enjoy them too. I was blown away. They were a near-perfect encapsulation of DC then - smart, desperate, with equal measures of fear and bravado. I saw them a couple more times in the following year or two and each time was great. But that first contact was pure magic. Outside of the District they were ignored, (and are now nearly forgotten). Most say it was because of them being associated with and an imitation of Talking Heads. Perhaps. But I think it was because their type of arty angst ridden rock simply wasn't very popular and couldn't be identified with by folks too far away from the Beltway and the then urban underground culture of dissipated, un or under employed students, punks, and young office workers. Like I said, it was all bravado and fear. Interesting times, and a nice soundtrack provided by the Verbs...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home