Weirdness

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Arlo In Concert!

http://www.arlo.net/

Linda and I just got back from seeing Arlo Guthrie at the Birchmere, (Thanks for the tickets, Pete!!!). It was a fun show. He performed with his son, daughter and her husband. We got to hear Motor-cycle and City of New Orleans as well as many other tunes by Arlo, the daughter and Woody; but there were two real highlights for me. The first was hearing Woody's son and grandchildren sing This Land Is Your Land. I got goosebumps during that.
The second was that he performed Alice's Restaurant in its entirety! If you're not a baby boomer, that probably doesn't mean a whole lot to you. And I'm not sure I can really explain it. All I can say is that Linda and I can now lay claim to having sung along with Arlo on the chorus - and that's very cool indeed.
This was also our first time at the new Birchmere. I like it, much nicer than the first two versions. We both remembered the building from having worked there when it was Berkey Photos, (a thuggish and suspicious company if there ever was one....). A very cool evening - thanks again, Pete!

1 Comments:

  • Glad you all finally made it to the Birchmere...we do enjoy going there and the food isn't half bad. We also enjoyed hearing Arlo on his Massacre tour not too long ago and were very impressed by his daughter Sara Lee at the Woody Guthrie tribute recently. Her voice echoes his cadences and inflections!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home