Weirdness

Sunday, November 12, 2006

a little something lost

Yesterday was just about as perfect a Fall day as one could ask for, (today we're back to a rainy dreary climate). I was out in the yard raking up leaves and looked around the neighborhood. Times have changed. Burning leaves is now forbidden in the region, (and with good reason, given the current crop of ignoramuses we've got); but am I the only one who misses the delightful smell of burning leaves? And now the garbage companies insist they be bagged up - no piles. I don't know how long it's been since I've seen kids jumping and playing in a leaf pile. Decades, probably. And I'd bet 2/3 of the houses in our area hire lawn services to take care of them - no kids making pocket money from the neighbors by raking, (I guess it would interfere with their video games). Another little ritual of life has become industrialized. Pity.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home