Weirdness

Sunday, January 21, 2007

Serge Gainsbourg & Jane Birkin - Je T'Aime

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nHNrk9pj-o
I can already hear some of you snickering (Pete), but this was and is a very cool tune. One of the few foreign language hits on American radio in the late 60's, (the only one?); and one of the last gasps of AM radio. Oh some stations wouldn't play it, but the ones that did saw their ratings go up. If I remember correctly, WPGC wouldn't put it on, but WEAM would, (it might have been vice-versa, memories fade like old radio signals...). One Friday night in '69, I heard it being played. After it finished, there was about a five second pause and then the DJ came back on saying - "I've just watched a turntable melt...". It really shook people up at the time, and I think it still holds up well.
The video is just still photos, but I could look at stills of Jane Birkin all day long, thank you very much.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home