Weirdness

Wednesday, February 07, 2007

life in DC

So, we woke up this morning to find it had snowed last night. Probably the nicest snowfall we've had in years. There was just slightly less than an inch of dry powdery flakes - not like the usual icy mess we get. It took us all of 15 minutes to shovel/sweep the entire Manor.
But Fairfax County schools are closed - probably until June. We are raising a generation of weenies. While growing up, I really did have to listen to my folks talk of trudging through feet of snow to get to school. Something I certainly never experienced. But I never thought I'd be braying away to the younger generation that I'd had to "struggle" through over half an inch of the stuff! The five or six inches we'd overcome must seem Himalayan to today's rugged ten year olds.
Of course, DC itself is a different story - there the schools are closed because there's no heat, that money having been long-since drained away into the private coffers of the bureaucracy. If you're cold, just go over to a superintendent's house, he'll have the furnace well stoked with tax dollars.
I'm told that PG County's schools are also closed, this will allow their police force to practice on smaller and faster moving targets than normal.
It's a Winter Wonderland!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home