Weirdness

Friday, February 16, 2007

more on airlines crap

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/02/15/AR2007021501853.html

It is interesting that our allegedly elected leaders view helping travel consumers out as an interference in the operation of a business. I'm not an expert on criminal law, but back in my retail days, if I'd locked the store and prevented customers from leaving, just on a power-trip whim, I'm almost positive I'd be arrested and charged with something along the lines of kidnapping and false imprisonment. Being in Virginia, I'd probably be facing the death penalty. Yet, according to Congress, if I call myself an airline official, I can do so with impunity, and it's considered a "business decision", not to be interferred with by government officials. Following this line of logic, the airlines could also rob, rape and murder you on the plane. All would be business decisions on a par with kidnapping and false imprisonment. I could make arguments for each one being to the benefit of the current crop of visigoths running the airline industry.
Linda and I are considering a short trip to Chicago later on this year. We're honestly debating whether it's easier to drive the 700+ miles, rather than subject ourselves to airlines now on a par with a rowing galley from Ben Hur. My last trip to O'Hare resulted in delayed luggage going in and a hassle-filled flight cancellation going out. Against all that I have to weigh the coma-inducing boredom of the Ohio Turnpike. It's a close call.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home