Weirdness

Friday, March 23, 2007

The San Juan Mountains, John Wayne, and True Grit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnRZ8MO7myM
I've been in love with the San Juan range since I was a kid, and was thrilled when they filmed True Grit there, (one of my fave Westerns). Linda and I have been through and around Ridgway many times and eaten at the True Grit Cafe at least on three or four occasions; it's a lovely village. I consider the whole area a second home and am as comfortable on the streets of Durango, Dolores, Telluride, Ouray, Silverton and the rest as I would be in Old Town or DC. It's just so beautiful there; the film here only conveys a small part of it.
The heart of the region is Lizard Head Pass, and that is where my ashes will be scattered when the time comes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home