Weirdness

Saturday, March 10, 2007

Some soft infested summer...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ksDUUkaoqY

Probably my favorite song by my favorite artist. I had the pleasure of attending this show, (as close to a religious experience as this old atheist will ever experience). This is the second best performance of Backstreets that I'm aware of, (the best was done during this tour at the Roxy in LA). The additional lyrics were later crafted as their own tune, Sad Eyes, that appeared on The River album*, but it just ain't the same. What a performance - in a concert that was full of them! I have to believe this is based on a true experience, one that occurred in his late teens or early twenties. There's just no way he could have made it up. No way. It happened. That age - that's the time when it's all new, and it all matters, and it's all important, and it's all true, and it's all timeless. It's when the vows and sacrifices say it all and mean it all. And Backstreets captures that, (and if you don't know what I'm talking about, I pity you). We learn from our losses, I suppose, but each takes a bit from us as payment. Bruce expresses that here. I gotta get another bourbon, see you on the Backstreets...




*And the nod towards Manfred Mann's Pretty Flamingo in the song is a real bonus - a great song, and a quiet smile towards them covering, and having a hit with, Bruce's song, Blinded By The Light. Circles within circles...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home