Weirdness

Thursday, May 31, 2007

the touch screen computer

http://www.nytimes.com/technology/poguesposts/index.html?8cir&emc=cir

Hmmm, I wonder. There's no denying the impressiveness of the technology. But I have to kinda go with some of Pogues' comments about it not being practical for many computer functions. I also suspect that, as in so many things, acceptance will be greatest amongst the young who are exposed ONLY to it. Running my hands back and forth over a table top just seems like some sort of hi-tech version of finger painting to me, and pretty silly, to boot. (I admit to being somewhat reactionary in my personal tastes - I miss my dial phone!). And for anyone suffering from Essential Tremor or Parkinsons, this new method will be pure torture. I also suspect it will be quickly surpassed - my own prediction would be a dual system using voice commands and a lens fitted over the eye (like a small screen placed on one lense of a pair of glasses), or some sort of eye reading beam projected from the computer screen itself. Still, if you're a deaf mute who likes finger painting, this should be just up your alley!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home