Weirdness

Saturday, May 03, 2008

late Spring...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvzKIhc9qe8&feature=related
As most of you know, Autumn is my favorite time of year. But that period between May Day and the 4th of July would be my second most favored season. I suspect it's partly a childhood thing - the anticipation of getting out of school and looking forward to Summer vacation. Traveling with my family to Wisconsin, Colorado, California and elsewhere; hanging outside with friends and/or cousins early in the evening with that beautiful June sun creating long lazy shadows, fireworks, playing Kleeba* in the old neighborhood, seeing rock concerts from the lawn at Merriweather, barhopping in Old Town or Gtown, drive in movies at the Star in Montrose, canoeing on the C&O, catching frogs and sailing wooden boats in the irrigation ditch at my Uncle Harry's, picnics at Log Hill, strawberry picking at the Logsdons' home, collecting box turtles, dirt clod battles at Monticello Park - the longer I type, the more things I think of.
I still remember with crystal clarity the last day of school in '65. We only had to go in half a day, and I remember making the short walk home alone, relieved to be away from school for what seemed at that time like an eternity. It was an absolutely beautiful mid-June morning, with a warm sun but a nice little breeze and an uncustomary low humidity. My Father had the day off and was waiting for me to join him to go down to the local tennis courts to watch him play. We were already getting ready to take a trip to Colorado, (which was absolutely wonderful too). It was just a perfect day.
I also remember high school graduation - hotter than hell, but low-key. I think I just spent the evening at home listening to Steely Dan's Reelin' In The Years and looking forward to my first trip to Europe and wondering how the hell college was going to be. Well, college is long gone, and now I really am reelin' in those years. But there's supposed to be some nice weather today and I hope you too can enjoy some nice long and lazy times.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsrI_mIT6PQ

*Kleeba was a great neighborhood game that you've never heard of. It was a combination of tag, hide & seek, and dodge ball, (and played only at night). I still think it's the coolest kids game I've ever played.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home