Weirdness

Friday, August 08, 2008

Bill Gates can go fuck himself

http://gizmodo.com/5019516/classic-clips-bill-gates-chews-out-microsoft-over-xp

It is amusing that a man who can make a difference here, HELL, THE Man, is reduced to whining about what so many of us go through constantly - the unfathomable and wretched state of software directions, intuitiveness, and ease of use. For those of you over 45 - remember when computers were going to SAVE time? It is incredible to me, both at home and in my job how god damned obfuscated so much of this shit is. Yes, it does amazing things, but do so in such a confusing and convoluted manner that I am shocked at how much success I do have with computers. Right now, I am battling both Windows and AVG's stupid "Security" package. I think the main security consists of it so overloading my system that I can barely get to the Internet, much less get a virus from it. I doubt most hackers would have the patience to try and send something to me, Continental Drift looks like Le Mans compared to my connection speed. Right now, I am typing out information about twice as fast as it takes for a similar amount to download and make it past the Maginot Line of this alleged firewall. Meanwhile, Windows has lost/destroyed a dll file that is soooo obscure that I can find no listing of it on Google. My whole computer wheezes away as if it were in some sort of asthmatic hell. Every time I boot up, I receive one of these unbelievably terrifying, yet worthless, messages that the system has determined that an "unknown" system is starting up - do I want to allow it. It doesn't tell me what it is, doesn't even give me the file name. I just have to guess, without a shred of information provided, as to whether or not I am about to unleash the seven hells of cyber-fuckery upon my system, or just allow Microsoft Office* to start up. (*Yes, the krauts at AVG appear to treat things like Microsoft Word as some sort of dread plague, and I always receive the most dire warnings when it kicks in, asking me to manually "allow" such an obviously safe program to run. This system is for the uber-paranoid. It's afraid of everything. I may have actually found a bunch of Germans who would surrender to the French - they are that wimpy. And, like the above article - their directions are worthless.
And so we come back to Bill Gates, dealing with incompetent minions who make more in one year than I'll see in twenty, and all he does is send 'em some pissy little email. Blow me. The solution is to fire the asshole who completely messed up the job, (and no god damned golden parachute - not one penny. Let his coworkers see him miss a few mortgage payments - they'll get the idea), tell his replacement why he was canned, and that the same will happen to them if things don't change immediately. The problem with the computer industry is there are so many people in it who aren't any good at what they do. Just because one is brilliant at writing code doesn't mean you're good at managing others, or designing usability, or have good table manners, etc. (There are a few of you reading this who are good in more ways than one - and I've told you so, but you appear to be exceptions). It's an immature industry, and consumers have let it get away with murder, and so, apparently, has Bill Gates.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home