Weirdness

Sunday, January 18, 2009

Obamastock - a little review

I watched the Inaugural music concert on TV this afternoon (HBO took time out from charging obscene rates to watch twenty year old movies to broadcasting these festivities for free). I admit it, I was impressed. Now, you're not going to get the best performances in the world, and something like this is always a pyramid of conflicting priorities and compromises. But I really did think it worked pretty well. Bruce was great, of course, although I would have had him perform two songs rather than allowing U2 to do so, (personal preference). And although I'm not a fan of Garth Brooks, the fact that he performed Shout was a real kick. (I don't know why we couldn't have had the Isleys there doing it, however). There's something inherently American about that song - the joy, the energy, etc. I've always believed that R&B and Rock'N'Roll are the ultimate battle hymns against ignorance and evil. "Shout" trumps our opponent's anthems, anytime...
Obama and Biden's speeches were pretty good, (although I personally get bored with the sound bites about Lincoln - another personal prejudice). But the finale was quite moving. Pete Seeger, in what is probably close to being a farewell performance, leading the crowd in singing This Land Is Your Land, (and leaving in the more pointed lyrics!) - now that was something. That person, that song, this event. A moment of historical evolution - crystalized. Really something. Politics is symbolism. And this was symbolism on a grand scale to those of us with a sense of history and sociology.
I do not share the deep emotions many people have about the new Prez, either pro or con. Caution and cynicism increase with every year. But it was a good show; it had some points to make, and it did so about as well as the situation allowed.
And finally, I'd point out that it was one nice the backdrop. Despite the best efforts of the criminals who run this city, DC is still one of the most moving places in the nation. To be at the Lincoln Memorial and stare out across the reflecting pool towards the Washington Monument is one of the best scenes in the world, (I'd also mention the other views towards the Capitol and across Memorial Bridge to Arlington. To see people gather there, in hope, optimism and joy (even if I don't share it) is quite touching. It's quite a town...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home