Weirdness

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

RIP to a Free Man, Not A Number

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090114/ap_en_tv/obit_mcgoohan

One of the greats. I missed seeing the Beatles on Ed Sullivan because I was too enthralled watching McGoohan play the proto anti-hero Scarecrow of Romney Marsh on Disney that night. As a kid, I was totally enthralled with that character, (and still am - the DVD was FINALLY released last month and Linda got it for me for the Holidays - it was wonderful watching it again). Then a couple years later, Secret Agent came out (it had started as a series in Britain called Danger Man), and I was enthralled again by the more serious and cerebral entry in the whole mass media spy thing. (McGoohan was originally offered the role of James Bond, but turned it down). It's still in my Top 20 TV shows of all time. And then we come to The Prisoner. Probably my all-time fave TV show. And what a show! You can see a bloated ad slower-witted progeny in the series "Lost", and more intelligent renditions and hints in The Matrix, V For Vendetta, Babylon 5, The X Files, and almost any film dealing with fears of the State and society, and doubts about one's place there. McGoohan was one of those rare entertainers who considered thinking to be part of that entertainment. He was absolutely Essential.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home