Weirdness

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

RIP Lewis Likes, 3/21/21 - 3/20/09

The above name won't mean much to the vast majority of you. And the truth is that I only met Mr. Likes a few times over the course of my life. But he was a gentleman and one of the very last of what I consider to be old timers from the Western Slope of Colorado. He was born and raised in the little town of Fruita in that hard-scrabble dirt farm existence that so many folks there dealt with. He joined the Navy (and was manning a machine gun during the attack on Pearl Harbor). He travelled around the country after the war, but ended up back in Fruita. He was one of those guys who could tell tales of the old days, (and my family's part in them), and it was a pleasure to listen to them. My life has been full of old timers, but not so much anymore. He will be missed.

1 Comments:

  • Rob, I hate to break this to you, but we're all getting to be the 'old-timers'

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home