Weirdness

Thursday, June 04, 2009

Happy Graduation!

Linda and I have got at least five friends/relatives graduating around now from high school or college. We congratulate each of you and wish you continuing success as well as peace and happiness. You've done good. You really have, and we're proud of you.
I am reminded of my own academic exits, (actually, that's not really true - we were passing a bottle at high school's ceremonies, and in college I couldn't wait to get the hell out and on the road to California...). But at any rate, let's pretend I can remember them. You will be told that you're facing great changes never confronted before and that you're generation is unique, etc. All lies, the first of many you'll be told the rest of your life. Think of this as preparation for those to come. I'm sorry, you're not special. None of us were.
Every generation, group, subculture, clan, class and individual faces a variety of challenges and battles. Many of them are quite important, some a matter of life and death. And sometimes you lose, sometimes you win, and mostly you muddle through in a world that doesn't really care one way or the other.. You are no better, and probably no worse, than those who came before you. But you are younger. Which means that you may not have as much experience as you think you do, or might need, in all situations. Oldsters don't have all the answers, but if we're still around it means we've managed to come up with at least a few - we're survivors. At least give us a hearing, we're not always wrong. Just as you've picked up some things, so have we...
Don't be stupid. Now, a lot of the time, it's hard to tell what a good choice is. I know that. One must take some risks, and jump into situations without knowing 100% about it. It can't be avoided. But there are some people, situations and things that positively scream out "Trouble!". Do yourself a favor, listen to that scream and stay away. Oh, you can observe, (from a safe distance), and you'll definitely learn - but stay away. I guarantee you that the universe will toss enough troubles in your way that you won't have to waste time seeking them out.
Connect and remember. Find a community. Hopefully, it already exists with your family and the friends you've made along the way. But if it doesn't exist there, don't give up looking for people whom you can be close to, can trust, can rely on, and can have fun with. That's something that doesn't seem as important to many people as it once was, and I really believe that's a shame and a near-fatal error on the part of folks. I'm not talking about people whom you can use or be used by, but real relationships of affection and equality. I have many, and they've been a strength to me and I refuse to believe that they won't be to you, too. Share - both ways. Be kind to your family. It's worth it in all but the worst circumstances. Talk to them. Learn about where you came from, where your parents came from, and grandparents, etc. It probably won't seem important now. Give it 20-30 years. It will. Trust me.
Now the folks I'm specifically writing this to are pretty smart. And I strongly suspect that I'm not saying anything you don't already know, or at least sense. But I figure it won't hurt to have a little positive reinforcement from your truly, ( and, as you've learned by now, the older folks LOVE handing out unsolicited advice. It's something about age that makes us enjoy gassing away on what we think you should be doing. I had to put up with it when I was your age, now you do too. Don't worry, you'll get your shot at it in about 30 years.) At any rate, that's my piece, I hope it's of value, either now or in the future. Best of luck.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home