Weirdness

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

the last German surrenders

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=158341

Fascinating tidbits from WWII. This is the first account I've read of the German force in Svalbard. I'd known they had a weather station up there, but not how large the troop operating it was or what had happened to them. I would point out that about 30 years ago I nearly developed a rather satirical wargame based on the German occupation there, positing Norwegian and British commandos versus a small but elite force of nazi meteorologists, (their unit was to be named the Leibstandarten Louie Allen, named after a local and popular TV weatherman from my youth). Alas, I never got beyond the initial planning stages for developing the game.
It's also good that the author mentions the guerilla warfare that continued in the Ukraine for approximately 10 - 15 years after the war, something almost unknown in Western historical circles. I don't think that conflict has been covered at all in the West, (and perhaps not in the East, either). I think it would be interesting if some historian were to ever be allowed access to the Soviet archives, (and perhaps interviewing some of the survivors) and write a history of it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home