Weirdness

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

a plug for Shiney's - Join The Cult!

http://www.shineysrestaurant.com/

About ten years ago I was working at a job with several Pakistani gents. They knew of my interest in and love of food, and my desire to try anything – particularly if it was an authentic representation of a particular culture. And so they introduced me to Shiney’s. I was, and I remain, enthralled. In fact, many of us at the site would go there regularly for lunch and even occasionally after work. It practically became a cult amongst us!
Now, DC is truly lucky, food-wise. If you like to eat well, you’ve come to the right place. We have some great restaurants and literally dozens of cultures and styles are well represented here. But I think Shiney’s may be my favorite. For me and Linda, it’s a combination of both comfort food and great cooking. I’d guess we average a purchase from there at least twice a month or more, and that’s been going on for ten years now.
I’ve been told that it started as a bakery of sweets and pastries for sale to the many south Asian restaurants in the region, and then slowly but surely expanded into including a small (but delicious) buffet and a regular menu for service there or for takeout. One may do either one and get a great meal. I won’t say I’ve tried the entire menu, (despite my many dozens of visits). They have some dishes that I am so addicted to, and I simply can’t resist ordering them, rather than experimenting further. It’s a fault of mine, but a tasty one. There are several selections that I heartily recommend – the first is the Samosa Platter. This was my first introduction to Shiney’s, and I think it is a good one. It consists of a pastry shell (kind of like the Mexican sopapilla), filled with bits of potato and perhaps a few other small vegetables, placed in a dish with a mix of sweet and yogurt sauces. It goes for around $5 and may well be the single best food bargain in the DC area. VERY filling, and VERY tasty. Just one of these is almost an entire day’s food intake for me. Wonderful!
For entrees, I’ve got to go with the lamb, the goat, or the chapli kabob (a spiced beef that is wonderful). The chicken is excellent too, in fact my personal favorite order is the “Shiney’s Special”, consisting of lamb and chicken with sides of rice and chickpeas. And that brings me to what I think is the real secret to Shiney’s success – the sides are to die for! The chickpeas are the absolute best I have ever tasted – anywhere. And on Wednesdays they serve a spinach dish which is also the best way I’ve ever had that food served to me. Their bread – naan – is also my favorite. Now, there are a lot of different styles in South Asian breads, but Shiney’s naan, with its serviceable texture (one uses it to eat with) and a flavor that’s just right, (not overwhelming, but just strong enough to match the rest of the meal), is just perfect. There’s also wonderful pakora, (fried veggies) and hot peppers and spiced rice and I could go on and on. You’ve just got to go there and try it; I can’t recommend this place too highly.
Now there are two things to keep in mind. The first is that Shiney’s is a little tricky to find, if you’re not familiar with central Annandale. It’s not right on route 236, like so many of the local businesses. The website provides good directions, (for you Old Timers- it’s right where the last incarnation of the Annandale Penguin Feather record store was back in ’79). The second thing is that it isn’t fancy, and it isn’t large. Don’t worry – Come in! And for those of us not totally familiar with South Asian cooking, some of the items listed on the sign* will be unfamiliar. Just ask, the folks there will happy to talk you through your order. Don’t be intimidated, it’s fun, and you’re about to have a great meal. I really love this place.


*There is no physical paper menu at Shiney’s. One goes up to the counter and orders based on the large sign situated behind there with all the dishes and prices listed. Your food will be brought to you when it’s ready.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home