Weirdness

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

The Fruita Vampire

http://www.wusa9.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=103074&catid=148

http://www.newser.com/story/94232/woman-crashes-car-blames-vampire.html


This story occurred two days ago, which is when I first heard of it. I believe that the wire services and Internet gods got hold of it, and it's now all over the web. I've written before about my Mother growing up in a small farming community called New Liberty, in Colorado. Fruita was the nearest town of note; she was born there and attended Fruita High. I spent many pleasant Summer vacations visiting there while growing up, and still have relatives in town whom I try to see as often as possible. I consider it, along with other portions of the Western Slope, to be a second home.
Now, up until this week, the most notable folklore about Fruita has been Mike the Headless Chicken, (whom I've also written about in the past). And I now believe that there's a connection. After all, there have always been questions as to how Mike survived beheading. Well, perhaps it was because he was one of the dreaded Undead...
If I remember my Mikeological history correctly, he finally died while touring the country. The official explanation, (probably a cover-up) was that he died from a feeding accident, although I now suspect it was due to him not travelling with native soil to sleep on, as all vampires need.
And now, like Christopher Lee, the spirit has risen again. Frightening people, (and apparently stealing their anti-psychotic meds...). I hope to return to Fruita* within the next year - I am stocking up on turtleneck sweaters and eating as much garlic as I can choke down, in preparation. I'm hopeless at whittling stakes, but have a fistful of #3 pencils sharpened and ready for action! Look out Fruita, Van Helsing Junior is on the way!

*Or as I call it, "New Transylvania".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home