Weirdness

Saturday, September 11, 2010

Back from the Battlefield

Linda and I spend a day down around Yorktown. I'd wanted to go to the battlefield, a place I'd not visited in well over 40 years. It was a picture-perfect day to do so, I'm happy to say. We were nearly alone the entire time, too. I think my favorite part was walking around the field where the surrender ceremony took place. I've read about the event a dozen times or more, and it excited the inner history-geek in me to be trodding the same ground as Washington, Lafayette and Hamilton did on what was one of the most important days in the history of this country.
The town of Yorktown, (which I'd not been in since '75), was also nice - nicer than I remember it. It's a beautifully quaint village of both newer and older buildings. A nice place to spend an afternoon strolling, which is what we did. and this morning, before heading back home, we stopped in at the Pottery Factory, because I believe there's a law stating that anyone visiting the Williamsburg area is required to shop there.
We avoided Williamsburg proper this time, didn't want to spend too much time, (or cash), and I find the crowds pretty tedious.
It was a good trip.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home