Weirdness

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Mixed Signals

It's an interesting day here at the Manor.  It's about 75 degrees outside.  That's at least 20 degrees higher than I'd normally expect.  The breeze feels more like early April than late November.  Downright pleasant.  But the trees are also growing bare, the colors have changed to brown and the yard is carpeted with the fallen.  The sky is that type of grey which speaks of Winter, (in spite of the temperature).  It's a day that teases with nice weather while letting you know that overhead is a harbinger of unpleasantness to come.  With Thanksgiving and the other holidays quickly on the way, it's now that I most think about those who are gone from my life, either by death or by walking away.  It's curious to me that the ancients believed that Samhain, (Halloween), was the time when the veil between the living and the dead was at its thinnest; for me, that time is later on in the year, from around now through the Solstice.  The scenery certainly fits.  Looking out the window I see nothing but death amongst the plants outside - with a sky that promises more grey than light.  And one is reminded of past Holidays and celebrations, those who attended them, and the knowledge that they never will again. 
Sigh, I lost two more friends this year, and the news from at least two more isn't good.  There's nothing unnatural about all of this of course, one gets older and people drop off.  But I don't have to like it.  And the losses number in the dozens.  I now know very few people who are 15+ years older than me - the many that I did know are almost all gone. 
I suppose the only point to this rambling little missive is to express the hope that you will enjoy the excuses this season offers to hang out with your friends and family and enjoy them while you can.  Things change - don't imagine that it'll stay Spring-like forever....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home