Weirdness

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

At this time of year, it always seems to be The Year Of The Car

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AazEMt0eoFg&feature=related

I've written about this before - forgive me.  It's a cold dark night in January, and I always return to similiar evenings in Gtown in '76, when this tune was a hit.  My friends Roger, Margrete, and I (and sometimes a few more of you reading this missive) would be wandering, Brechtian-like,  from bar to bar, "looking quite cooly" and yet I'm not quite sure we knew where we were going.  It was not the first time I'd felt like Peter Lorre, and it wouldn't be the last.  That walk was sometimes confident, and sometimes stumbling; and sometimes it was difficult to tell, (and perhaps...there was no difference).  And it was damn cold those nights.  But if you were there, you'd see at least one small spark of defiant light against the icy sheen of the gutters and the C&O Canal.  And here we are, 35 years later, and I'm not sure things have changed all that much.  No matter what time it is, some of us remain in the Year of the Cat....
See ya tomorrow...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home