Weirdness

Sunday, January 16, 2011

Stuxnet news

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/16/world/middleeast/16stuxnet.html?_r=1&nl=todaysheadlines&emc=tha2
Fascinating.  I will repeat myself here:  it'll be curious to see if we, or someone else, goes back to a pre-80's model for manufacturing, data control and management.  Which is to say, pre-modern computer.  Teenage hackers now routinely get information that would have been all but impossible for anyone but "James Bond" to get 40 years ago.  One couldn't introduce a bug or worm into a manufacturing process (especially at a distance) because the computerized systems and internet connections weren't there.  Every week, I receive emails and news articles detailing the latest computer hacking trys and triumphs - all of them potentially endangering whatever information and files I have on my machine.  Yet my most valuable papers ARE papers.  And they are kept in a locked safe in a locked and alarm-wired house, and with a well-armed me.  An army of hacker geeks would run out of doritos and die of starvation before they'd get to them.  They couldn't do it.  They could only get to them by mastering the physical challenges.  They won't even try, they'll just keep sitting at their laptop and move on to the next victim.  Someday, someone in government and/or industry will figure this out, and I predict they'll pull their most important stuff off-line and go back to some guy with a briefcase manacled to his wrist, just like the olden days.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home