Weirdness

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

The Kite Festival is coming!

http://dc.about.com/od/specialevents/a/SmithKiteFest.htm?nl=1

I used to love flying kites - had a 30' dragon kite with about 2000' of line.  That thing was a beauty once you got it up a couple hundred feet.  When I worked at the museum shop at NASM (many moons ago) we'd sell a great variety of them.  With my employee discount, I could get one of the cheapest ones and a hundred feet of line for about a buck or two - and would spend my lunch hour out on the all flying it on the nicer Spring days. 
The dragon kite I took out to Colorado on once of my many trips there.  It was the Summer of '77 and my cousins and I drove to the top of a local mesa just outside of Montrose one afternoon. We were already a couple hundred feet above the valley floor, and I let the line out on the kite almost all the way.  It was beautiful - and then it got better - the light was such that you could see the moon!  I maneuvered the kite in that direction and my cousin Janice took a photo of both seeming to hover next to each other.  I love that picture, a nice reminder of good times.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home