Weirdness

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Virginia wines coming up in the world?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/food/wine-first-growth-virginia-a-fledgling-vintner-wants-to-prove-its-possible/2011/03/07/ABonkTY_story.html

This is nice, I suppose.  But a $100 bottle of wine is well beyond my price range.  In fact, $20 is my usual limit for all but the most special of occasions or wines.  The price of Virginia's products have been going up for years.  I suspect it's less due to some objective rise in quality as it is the vineyards' proximity to the huge upper middle class of DC.  One of our favorite activities 20+ years ago was to take day trips out to the wineries, meet the owners, taste and learn.  But it's gotten too crowded, and prices could go up because we had so many folks who could and would pay, etc.  The real deals are from vineyards that I can't visit, (Australia, Chile, etc.).  I'm happy for the vintners.  They're obviously making a go of it.  But it leaves guys like me out in the cold.  I simply can't afford to pay $28 for a local wine, when I can get one of comparable quality from Chile for half that price.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home