Weirdness

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

The End Of An Era

http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2011/04/last-typewriter-factory-in-the-world-shuts-its-doors/237838/


Sigh.  I am feeling old.  I used a manual typewriter right up until marrying, (Linda owned an electric - woo hoo!).  This is one of those devices, (along with slide rules and dial telephones) that will quickly separate one from the younger generation(s).  Now, please don't misunderstand me.  I love word processors, and I very much regret not having them around when I was having to type up term papers and book reports.  There's no doubt about it, the new technology is about a hundred times better than the old.  But there is something very comforting to me about the noise of a typewriter clacking away noisily.  Linda (and others) still make fun of me because I hammer away on my computer keyboard (I go through 'em at a rate of one every three years or so - they can't take it).  I was trained on ancient iron behemoths, older than I,  that would need pounds of pressure to get the keys to put ink to paper.  You didn't need gyms to lose weight in those days, just a willingness to type. At the end of a thirty page paper you'd have arms as big as building girders. 
 An entire technology, gone.  Kinda strange.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home