Weirdness

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Portraits of closed record stores

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/40-sad-portraits-of-closed-record-stores?s=mobile
Sigh.  This just breaks my heart, in so many little ways.  At the risk of being accused of permanent old-fartdom, I feel sorry for youngsters who won't grow up having some of the same (fun) experiences that I and my contemporaries had.  There is something deeply attractive about listening to and discovering new tunes on an old transistor radio, and running down to the record store to purchase a few 45's.  I was just talking about this with my old dear friend, Millie.  She was the first one of us in the old neighborhood to get her driver's license.  At last!  Freed from parental timetables and priorities, we could head out on our own!  Friday nights often involved a quick trip to McDonalds for sustenance, and then on to Giant Music up on Columbia Pike to pick up the latest singles, (or if one hoarded their money for a while - a whole LP!).  Later on, with my own license, it was on to Rainbow Tree, Penguin Feather, and Discount Records.  They were Temples....



(Thanks for the link, Erik!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home