Weirdness

Saturday, April 02, 2011

Roger McGuinn - Better late than never

http://www.ibiblio.org/jimmy/mcguinn/


We went to see Roger McGuinn in concert last night at The Barns.  It is to my everlasting shame that I must admit it's the first time I'd seen him perform, even though the Byrds once played my high school.  But at least I have (partially) remedied that omission.  It was a solo performance, just Roger and his guitars and banjo.  It was a wonderful show - very easy going.  Before it began, something happened which I've never seen before.  The stage was set up with the various instruments on display.  And at least a dozen people huddled up at the front - just taking pictures of his Rickenbacker!  It was amusing, and I suppose a credit to his legend with that awesome sound. 
Now, I've written before that I always find these shows somewhat bittersweet.  As the audience gathers, it is a sea of gray hair.  Gods, we've gotten old.  Usually, one can count on a few young people to provide a little contrast.  But last night, for whatever reason, you could've counted 'em on one hand.  I was one of the youngest people attending.  The lights went down, and without a hint or irony, Roger walked out on stage strumming that guitar and launched into My Back Pages.  When he got to the chorus "But I was so much older then, I'm younger than that, now", I thought - if only....
I won't bore you with all the deatils.  He followed a pattern one can hear in his various live albums, telling and showing how he evolved musically over the years, and the influences that guided that growth.  All the hits were played, (except for So You Wanna Be A Rock'N'Roll Star), and he did a full version of one of my faves, Chestnut Mare*.   Even solo, hits like Turn Turn Turn, Mr. Tambourine Man, and others have a crisp and powerful sheen that you just know makes them perfect hits for listening to on an AM radio.  Is there anyone on earth who can't hear the first four seconds of Tambourine Man or TTT and not fall in love with them on the spot?   It was a great evening.  Afterwards, the crowd creaked, shuffled and wheezed our way out into the night.  One more back page.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGG4jeIhJUc


*Linda always hassles me about this song.  She claims that all the symbolism in it involves bestiality.  But I think that's just the pinot blanc talking....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home