Weirdness

Thursday, July 07, 2011

A nice article about the Monkees and the R&R Hall of Fame

http://www.goldminemag.com/blogs/no-monkee-business-allowed-in-the-rock-hall-of-fame

I rather like this article, because it does touch on some good points within pop culture.  With the exception of a couple of Nesmith cuts, none of the songs on the first two albums were written by them.  Is that important for legitimacy?  If so, my next question is how legitimate does that make Elvis?  And does not playing your own instruments disqualify a group from the HofF?  If so, please explain the Beach Boys to me, (or most Soul groups).  It all comes down to the definition of a curious term; "legitimacy" - and I'm not sure I'm smart/arrogant enough to really tackle that.  One could argue that the Monkees were put together by businessmen.  Fair enough.  So were Peter, Paul & Mary, as well as the Sex Pistols, (and probably more than a couple of 'super groups').  Does that mean you're beneath contempt?  I think the issues get murkier the more you look.  I wouldn't want to be an absolutist like some of the rock critic snobs out there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home