Weirdness

Tuesday, November 01, 2011

Last Night...

It was a fair Halloween, here at the Manor.  We had about 65 trick-or-treaters.  More than usual, and certainly more than we expected.  The houses in our neighborhood are spaced fairly far apart by modern suburban standards, (one reason we bought the place);  in addition, only about a third of our neighbors leave their lights on and participate in the Holiday, making the ratio of energy to candy that much less profitable.  But people now were driving their kids to each house, (or cluster of lit houses).  Sigh.  I understand, sort of, but this seems to take away a lot of what I enjoyed about trick or treating.  For one thing - ditching my parents.  I mean, I don't think my folks accompanied me on any of these pillaging expeditions after I turned 6.  It's a different world, I guess. 
Which brings me to another (good) point.  Most of the kids this year were younger.  The last time I trick-or-treated was when I was ten years old, and that felt kind of pushing it, (to me).  I hate it when teenagers go out begging for snickers bars.  Sheesh!  Shouldn't you guys be learning about sex, or how to drive, or something?  We only had a few oldsters.  One couple, I think it was a guy and his girlfriend looked and sounded at least 16 - AND HIS FATHER WAS STANDING IN OUR DRIVEWAY WATCHING/PROTECTING!!!  Wussies.  Terminal wussies!  This guy was at least as big as I was.  What did he and/or Dad think was going to happen?!?  Stay home and hide under your fucking bed, dweebs. 
One other good sign - fewer clueless kids.  Even the younger ones seemed totally into it - calling out trick-or treat, and thanking us, etc.  Some years they've just stood there, gaping stupidly, and saying nothing.  Perfect for zombies - but they're dressed as princesses, pirates and anything but.  The intelligence level has definitely risen. 
Finally, I got two new Chick comics thrown into my yard, (I collect 'em!), warning me of the eternal damnation I face for celebrating Halloween.  Thanks guys - you keep on tryin'!

1 Comments:

  • Ahh, the days when we were young and could trick-or-treat for blocks and blocks and never worry about a sex fiend lurking in the bushes. It IS a different world, sadly. As always, we had no trick-or-treaters this year; in fact, for every house we've owned (3), we had hardly more than 4 or 5 of the little dears. You know what they say: Location, location, location!

    By Anonymous Mildew, at 9:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home