Weirdness

Saturday, March 31, 2012

Lost Music For A Lost Generation

http://www.jazzwax.com/2012/03/weekend-wax-bits-3.html
The first part of this column is the part that I'm interested in.  It's been running around in my mind, too.  One of the several changes in pop culture over the past twenty years seems to me to be the apparent impermanence of it all.  As I've pointed out to many of you in conversations, you will always be able to purchase record and CD players, (although you might have to go online to do so).  Your music collection will always be readily accessible.  But I doubt the same can be said for the electrons that are now being used to replace these formats.  I have, and still play, records that are nearly 50 years old.  Is there any software of half that age that still is useable on a modern computer/iphone?  People brag to me about having tens of thousands of songs on their little mobile device - but will you still have them in even six years time?  And anything that can destroy an LP or CD will do the same to one's computer memory.  But the opposite is not true. 
Maybe I'm wrong, but I really do see a potential shift. I really do wonder if today's ten year old will have the same types of frames of reference as I and my contemporaries do. 


(Thanks for the link and title, Erik!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home