Weirdness

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

The last of the reunions for the 5th

http://bangordailynews.com/2012/06/17/news/bangor/wwii-5th-armored-division-holds-last-ever-reunion-in-bangor/
Of course, there is nothing unusual about this.  We grow older, and sooner or later, we die.  I post this article not because it's unusual, but because it's quite expected.  And I tend to shy away from the "Greatest Generation" moniker.  Who knows?  Each year has had its own challenges and been met by at least some people, even at the cost of their lives.  It's a game I want to steer clear of. 
But, I will say that for me, they are the folks I most look to, (that and the generation involved in the Revolution).  I consider myself both lucky and privileged to have grown up, listening to the stories of my parents, and their friends and relations.  In some ways, the keystones of their lives are a part of my own, now.  Equal to the events in my own time, they influence my views and my reactions.  Almost all of those folks are gone now. I miss those guys, and appreciate the sacrifices they made, and what I've learned from them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home