Weirdness

Thursday, August 07, 2014

Invasion that never occurred

http://militaryhistorynow.com/2014/08/07/cruel-intentions-seven-planned-invasions-that-were-never-carried-out/
An interesting list.  Several comments:  Despite what the article says, the Kaiser's insane invasion plans for the U.S. were known long before the 2002 date given.  I'd heard about 'em back in my college days. There was even an amateur wargame campaign based around it at the time (early 70's).   The supposed Soviet invasion of nazi Germany is pure bullshit, I'm amazed it's even written up here.  The German plans for invading Switzerland were real, but I'm tired of the 'official' reasons for them being discarded due to an impregnable and plucky Swiss army.  The idea that you hide in (very stationary) mountain caves away from the population and resupply that can then be easily surrounded and defended against has never impressed me.  Nor do I have much faith in the population's willingness to fight.  A score of halberdiers guarding the pope is hardly a great background of military experience.  I've always believed that the Germans decided against invading because it wasn't necessary.  The Swiss were already quite pro-nazi and helping the fascists in a variety of (very profitable) ways.  Neutral, my ass....


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home