Weirdness

Sunday, October 18, 2015

Anniversary of my first Springsteen concert, back in 1976.

At Gtown University.  Here's an excerpt from another eyewitness:

The last time that Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band played Georgetown University, a key setting for 'The Exorcist,' was on October 18, 1976. On that night nearly 40 years ago, the Cosmic Kid met Captain Howdy as the story section of "Growin' Up" became a hilariously horrific tale about Bruce's beloved '57 Chevy getting possessed by an evil spirit — which predated Stephen King's 'Christine' by almost a decade. According to Brucebase, it also marked the only time that Mike Oldfield's "Tubular Bells" has ever been performed onstage by Bruce and the band, the famous instrumental from the film's closing-credits serving as backing music for Bruce's story. Here's the only known recording of that performance, just a partial audience tape.

"...The hood ornament started spinnin’ around that cross! The gas tank flew open and spit gas on my face! The cross was jammed into the radiator! Then, all of a sudden, I said, ‘Who are you?! You ain’t my ’57 Chevy, who are you?!’ And it said, ‘I AM A NEW TOYOTA!’ It jammed itself into first... popped into some wheelies, spinnin’ down the street. I commandeered a vehicle, knocked this old lady outta the front seat of this Camaro. I jumped in and started spinnin’ after my car, right? I called up my own Keith Richards; my guitar flew out the trunk! I picked it up like this and called on all the guitar heroes up in Rock 'n' Roll Heaven to help me!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home