Weirdness

Friday, November 25, 2011

hitler's bedsheets

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2065162/Hitlers-bed-linen-embroidered-swastika-eagle-initials-goes-sale.html

I suppose that it's possible.  Maybe it's just me, but there seems to be more hitler memorobilia popping up in the market lately then there was 20-50 years ago, (I could be wrong on this, I'm not an expert in such things and simply rely on the mass media).  On the one hand, such is possible because the original collectors (or looters) have virtually all died off, and even the generation immediately following would be getting to an advanced age.  Under such circumstances it would be natural for many of the estates to start selling off this stuff.  (Not every one would prefer grand-dad's collection of hitler's mustache combs over the cash they'd fetch at an auction...).
On the other hand, there have been some very well publicized fakes and scams in the past, and I'd be amazed if such wasn't continuing, especially as we get further from the generation of people who were actually there and/or involved.  My argument is somewhat along the lines of the religious relics supposedly out there, (and all of the jokes about the pieces of the 'True Cross' being able to fill a forest).
As for wanting to own these knick-knacks, I am probably not the right person to ask. On the one hand, I completely understand the trophy-like aspects that motivated the original "collectors". If I'd been in the squads storming into the Wolf's Lair, or the fuhrer's bunker, or whatever, you can be sure I'd of been loaded down with the material proof of having defeated a monstrous enemy and their total vanquishing. And I can see such little trophies of grand-dad's experiences being of value within his family. But outside of that, something like adolf's bedsheets aren't even of tangetial historical value to someone like me. And I have to wonder why someone would spend serious bucks acquiring them, (there's still far too much romanticizing about the nazis out there).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home