Weirdness

Thursday, November 22, 2012

Happy Thanksgiving!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/11/23/AR2005112302056.html

I have posted this before, and I suppose I shall continue to do so forever, out of sentimentality.  Art Buchwald was a famous humor/satire writer for the Washington Post for many decades, (and syndicated world-wide).  His humor is quite dated, now, I know.  But he was a DC fixture and character held in kind regard, (except by Nixon, who placed him on his Enemies List).  Art had gotten his start in the newspapers while in Paris, and published this missive comparing the two cultures.  And every Thanksgiving, the Post would republish it, sometimes with great fanfare.  They stopped doing so with Buchwald's death, but I've always had a soft spot for him, and have decided to continue the tradition.  He was one of my Father's favorites, and when I was in grade school, he encouraged me to read Buchwald's column as a sort of humorous gateway to learning about politics and contemporary events.  It worked. 
When I grew up and married, every Thanksgiving my folks would come over to our place for dinner, and Dad would always ask me if I'd read that day's reprint - I'd always reply in the affirmative and he'd grin, (another tiny family tradition, I supposed).  He's been gone over nine years now, but I'm a creature of habit.  So here it is.  And yes Dad, I read it.  Happy Thanksgiving, Comrades...


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home